Family History System Description
The following items are provided to explain a bit about the Family History System, including its features,
hardware/software requirements for using it, some history, and a look ahead. You can also download the manuals and software for the public version of FHS
- Overview - an early description of the hardware/software requirements and FHS features
- Interface - a description of the User-Software interaction (for the DOS version of FHS)
- Family File Description - in more detail than is really necessary for you to understand
- Reports and Charts - some sample output for you to view
- Language Customization - features for tailoring the software and reports, introduced in 97 update of FHS
- Utilities - GEDCOM & Other utility options
- Extra Options - provided to registered users of the DOS Version of FHS
- FHS "Version 1" - Programs and Documentation for the 1993 Update of FHS
- FHS "Version 2" - Programs and Documentation for the 1997 Update of FHS
- FHSWIN - Programs and Documentation for a Windows version of FHS that is available here in its developing stages.
Although this site already contains much "historical" information, as it has evolved from a very early site, here are a few more documents that might be of interest for those who would like to know more about the software's "history".
- 93 Update Description - This is a document that describes the "new" 1993 version of FHS. Notice that the basic set of programs was available on three 5 1/4" diskettes or a single 3 1/2" diskette.
- A 1997 Newsletter announcing the "new" September 1997 version of FHS.
- Earlier Versions - describing a series of "Major" updates to FHS from the first, in February 1985, to September 1997.
- Plans - (from Oct 1998) a brief look at what may be coming for FHS